Friday, November 20, 2009

All the Hemispheres - Hafiz

I am reminded at this time of year that the solstice isn't the same at the equator, where days and nights dance in an equal balance. This poem gives me a feeling of the Great Circle we dance in our lives on this beautiful planet.


Leave the familiar for a while.
Let your senses and bodies stretch out
Like a welcomed season
Onto the meadows and shores and hills.

Open up to the Roof.

Make a new water-mark on your excitement
And love.

Like a blooming night flower,
Bestow your vital fragrance of happiness
And giving
Upon our intimate assembly.

Change rooms in your mind for a day.

All the hemispheres in existence
Lie beside an equator
in your heart.
Greet Yourself
In your thousand other forms
As you mount the hidden tide and travel
Back home.
All the hemispheres in heaven
Are sitting around a fire
Chatting
While stitching themselves together
Into the Great Circle inside of you.

-- Hafiz
(The Subject Tonight is Love, versions of Hafiz by Daniel Ladinsky)

1 comment:

  1. Oh I've run across this blog by a happy accident and what timing! I needed to read this poem by Hafiz. In just a few days I leave for Amsterdam to dance with Andrea Juhan for an ongoing 5R workshop (this will be the second module). I am so full of resistance. I don't want to go, I don't want to go, I don't want to. And then I read Hafiz and I remember why I'm going....thank you. tt

    ReplyDelete